Lifeline: An Interactive story
Lifeline is a mega hit mobile game that uses push notifications to tell a choose your own adventure story. I was a Co-UX Designer and worked closely with a small studio (Three Minute Games) inside of Big Fish Games to flesh out the overall concept and story. I produced multiple wireframes, interactive prototypes, designed the overall look and feel, and contributed to the main story idea.
Lifeline has been expanded into a diverse series of interactive stories.
Co-Designer: Dan Selleck
Code and Concept: Colin Liotta
App Store Summary
A totally unique experience enabled by modern devices, this story plays out in real time. As Taylor works to stay alive, notifications deliver new messages throughout your day. Keep up as they come in, or catch up later when you’re free. You can even respond to Taylor directly from your Apple Watch or your iPhone lock screen, without launching into the app.
The Three Minute Games studio was built to explore new and innovative game design that can be implemented within a short time frame. Lifeline was conceived shortly after 2 key Apple announcements: wrist-enabled interactive notifications with the Apple Watch, and a new notification interactions for the iOS home screen with swipe gestures.
These features led to the idea of an interactive choose your own adventure game.
The project had to:
- be ready for worldwide launch in concert with the newly-announced Apple Watch (pre announced months before release)
- have a compelling story that resonated with the tech-geared audience
- work within the very strict interaction guidelines
Selectable story choices from within the Lifeline App and from the iOS lockscreen
Process & Design
Successes from the project:
- Lifeline reached the #1 Top App on iPhone and sustained it's position for week.
- The game was heavily featured on both the iOS and Apple Watch App Stores
- Lifeline was later launched on the Android OS and reached similar success
A few quotes from major reviewers:
“A surprising iPhone and Apple Watch bestseller is pushing the boundaries of fiction” - boingboing.net
“This is the best game on the Apple Watch” - Time.com